For Thanksgiving this year, my siblings and I made an extra effort to see both sides of my family: the Chinese side and the Mexican side. Some highlights of the day:
- Watching West Side Story with Lisa while we got ready in the morning.
- The fact that my uncle cooked a completely Americanized Thanksgiving feast, but still managed to add a dash of China with a big bowl of white rice.
- Eating meat on accident even though I was trying to be a good vegetarian. Turns out there was chicken stock in the mashed potatoes and sausage in the stuffing. Don’t ask. I think it’s an Asian thing.
- “You all should try the mushroom gravy with the white rice. Ancient Chinese tradition.” – My facetious uncle
- My aunt’s famous pumpkin cheesecake. I look forward to it every year.
- Spending quality time with my sisters during the drive to Alviso (the ghetto of San Jose) to see my grandparents.
- Singing songs from West Side Story all the way to and from Alviso.
- Conversing with my grandparents in Spanish. Well, trying to at least.
- Making my family watch West Side Story with me again once we got home from Alviso at 10pm.
- My face hurting from laughing and smiling all day long.
Overall, I’d say it was a great Thanksgiving.
*I know it’s a cheesy title, but I just couldn’t help myself.