If you’ve been reading my blog for a while now, you probably remember when I wrote that entry about how I was planning on applying to teach English in Thailand. Well, if you follow me on Twitter, or if we’re friends on Facebook, you probably already know that a week ago, I was offered the job. Yay for being able to keep everyone in my life updated with various forms of social media. And more importantly, YAY for my first Big Kid Job Offer out of college.
So am I going to accept the job offer? No, I’m not. Because as awesome as it would be to live in Thailand for a year, it would me smarter financially for me to take the job in South Korea I talked about a month ago: In South Korea, I’ll be getting paid three times more than I would be paid working in Thailand. Plus, I will receive four weeks of paid vacation throughout the year AND 100% severance pay once my year of work is over. So not only will I be able to save a ton of money while I’m working in South Korea, I can still use one of my paid vacation weeks to visit Thailand. Talk about a win-win situation.
Life has been pretty exciting with the Thailand job offer and the potential South Korea job offer, but there’s still that unexpected life curve ball I recently blogged about. I wouldn’t feel right taking off to another country for a year while my dad is here fighting cancer. He has already told me that he wants me to go no matter what because “it’s a great opportunity and experience,” but what if he or my siblings need me? What if this is the only time left I have to spend with him? It’s crazy how I went from having absolutely no ties here in Sacramento to one huge knot that I don’t know how to pull apart.
I’ve been thinking a lot lately how surreal everything seems: I was offered the job in Thailand, and even though I’m not going to take it, I was still really excited that I was one of the four people they picked. My progress on my work visa application is going strong and once I submit it and am officially offered a job in South Korea, I will be moving there in less than two months. That is, if I actually accept. I want to wait until after my dad’s surgery on March 1st before I decide what I’m going to do: If his surgery goes well and the doctors are able to successfully remove the tumor, then I will probably proceed with my plans to move. But if his surgery doesn’t go well, then I won’t be going anywhere for a while.
My life feels like a combination of sweet dreams and horrible nightmares right now. And it’s only a matter of time before I wake up.