What’s on, and what’s been on, my mind as of late:
- Life after college – You know what’s great about not being in school anymore? I have the time to do whatever I want: Free Museum Days, dancing again, Saturday morning brunches consisting of bottomless mimosas, visiting friends in the Bay Area, afternoon shopping trips with Katherine, practicing yoga, learning how to cook—you name it. For the first time in a long time, I have freedom. The freedom to do what I want, when I want to, rather than spending every waking moment studying, doing homework, or writing a paper. I’ll admit, sometimes I start to miss school, but then I think back to December when my days consisted of sitting in a classroom all day, going straight to work after that, and then returning back to school around 11pm to work on an essay until the wee hours of the morning. I’ll start to stress out by just thinking about these memories, and then, suddenly, I don’t miss school anymore.
- Pop Culture and the Netflix Bandwagon – I should also add to the above list of guilt-free activities I’ve been doing is catching up on my pop culture and watching more movies. I finally jumped on the Netflix bandwagon a few weeks ago, for which I will be a passenger for life because Netflix is cheap, and not to mention oh-so-convenient. The types of movies I’ve been watching consist of a lot of indie films and documentaries. Some awesome ones I’ve discovered are Little Miss Sunshine, Freakonomics, and Broken English. I would highly recommend all three movies, especially Broken English if you want to drool over a dreamy French actor.
- Oh, Urban. How do I love/hate thee? Let me count the ways – I have a love/hate relationship with Urban Outfitters: I LOVE every single shoe, accessory, and clothing item that make up their Women’s Clothing Line, but I HATE that all of it is so expensive. I’ve had my eye on a gorgeous purse for the past few weeks, but have been holding back since the purse was a whopping $50 and I’m
cheapfrugal. Well, yesterday I caved and bought the “I have to have it” purse, as well as a few other things. I’m justifying these purchases with 1) I’ve been working my ass off lately and 2) I just filed my taxes and 3) I deserve it, damnit.
- Another job offer – Last Tuesday evening, I had a Skype interview with a school director in South Korea. And guess what? I GOT THE JOB! I have officially been offered a job teaching English in South Korea. I have accepted the job, but whether or not I actually go won’t be concrete until after my dad’s surgery. If my dad’s surgery is successful, I will leave for South Korea about a week before my new job starts on March 23rd.
- My Dad – Some of you have inquired as to how my dad is doing. To answer your question, he is doing well: He is taking care of himself and staying strong, just like my mom did. His surgery to get the tumor removed is March 1st (less than a week), so if you could do me and my family a favor by saying a prayer, thinking a good thought, or sending positive energy our way, I would be forever grateful.
What’s been on your mind lately? How’s life treating you?