This post was inspired by Amy‘s post from yesterday; at 27 years old, I love the idea of looking back through my 20’s and seeing exactly where the decisions I’ve made have led me over the years. Here are my top five:
1) Swing Dancing i.e. Lindy Hop – I started swing dancing when I was 20 years old. What started as just a fun hobby is what brought me to competing, performing, DJing, national traveling, and some of the best friends I’ve ever had. Lindy hop was such a HUGE part of my early twenties; in fact, it was my world– my life. Even though lindy hop isn’t as important to me now like it was back then, I will still always hold it close and dear to my heart because of all the amazing opportunities it brought me.
2) Forgiving My Mom – After my parents split up when I was 19 years old, I was extremely bitter and angry towards my mom. I blamed the separation and eventual divorce on her, claiming that she “ruined our family.” I was cold to her when she came around me and my siblings. There were even times I didn’t want anything to do with her. Even though it took a couple years, I’m so glad I eventually forgave her and became close to her again. Because I simply can’t imagine still holding that grudge against her while she battled with breast cancer, or even now that she’s gone.
3) Going Back to School – I was one of those college students who went to a community college for a couple years, couldn’t decide what to major in, and eventually, dropped out. I believe I was 21 years old when I realized, “You know Self, you can either work in restaurants for the rest of your life, or go back to school.” I chose the latter, and I’m SO glad I did. I am now the proud owner of a B.A. in English, which has led me to some amazing opportunities, and will continue to open doors for me in the future.
4) Joining an Online Dating Site – This one actually goes way beyond just joining OK Cupid. By joining an online dating site, I put myself out there and I met Chris. Once I met Chris, I slowly let my guard down and let him in– I let him love me, and I let myself love him back. I trusted him and I trusted that he wouldn’t hurt me. I let him teach me how to love someone and be in a relationship by following his amazing examples of how a significant other should be. And now, we’re living together and engaged to be married. Man, I’m so glad I joined that dating site!
5) Moving to South Korea – I don’t even know where to start with this one. Essentially, living in Korea was amazing in far too many ways: I gained teaching experience, I got to travel, I made amazing friends, I was challenged, I learned new things, I tried new things, I saw, I experienced– the list goes on and on. Choosing to move to Korea was the scariest, craziest, hardest decision I’ve ever made, but I’m so glad I did it, because it changed my life for the better.
What are some of the best decisions you’ve made in your adult life?