New year, new intentions.
My intention for 2012 was to work towards my career of becoming a high school English teacher. Well, that didn’t work out. In July, I decided not to take the teaching route, but was left dumbfounded on what to pursue for my career. I thought that restaurant management might be something I could do since I have so much restaurant work experience, but soon realized that I don’t have the right personality to be a manager. I also realized that the main thing I want in a career is to help others, which is why I’ve decided to pursue a career in non-profit work. This brings me to my first big goal for 2013:
- Work on my career: This involves a lot. I’m already interning and volunteering for the American Cancer Society, but I plan on getting even more non-profit experience by volunteering with The American Red Cross. Along with gaining more non-profit experience, I want to work on my professional development; this means sharpening my Microsoft Office skills, brush up on my Spanish, learn new computer software like Adobe, and get better at networking. My hope is to have a full-time job with a non-profit organization by my 28th birthday in May.
- My other big goal for 2013 is to focus on paying off my debt. I have two credit cards and some student loans. I figure I’ll tackle my credit cards first since those are the ones that affect my credit score the most. Once those are paid off, I’ll tackle the beast that is my student loan.
My other 2013 goals include:
- Buy a car: When I moved back from Korea last March, I didn’t want to buy a new car because 1) they’re expensive 2) I learned to love walking and public transportation as my way of getting around and 3) if I needed a car, I could just borrow Chris’ car. However, ever since Chris got his new job in October, it’s been harder to borrow his car when I need it since he commutes five times a week. I’m also getting tired of Sacramento’s crappy public transportation system, so I think the time has come to own a car again.
- Get back on track with healthy eating and fitness: I’ve taken a major hiatus from my healthy lifestyle ever since the wedding ended and the holidays started. Essentially, there have been a whole lot of sweets, alcohol, and mashed potatoes in my life these past two months, and not nearly enough exercise. It’s time for me to get back on track with my fitness plan to not only lose weight, but to live healthy and take care of my body.
- Put money aside to do some traveling. I’d like to visit Southern California this year (Disneyland/San Diego) or a new U.S. city (Washington D.C., New Orleans, or Las Vegas). And I can’t forget about my and Chris’ belated honeymoon! We’re thinking either Mexico, Costa Rica, Germany, or Ireland.
What is your intention/goal/resolution for 2013?