1) I’ve been getting into the Halloween spirit all week long. On Sunday, Chris and I went to a pumpkin patch and picked out pumpkins to carve later in the week. I got my costume together, which I’m pretty excited about: instead of spending $50+ on a new costume, I decided to dig through my costume box and be a 1920’s flapper for Halloween. The great thing is I’ve never actually been a flapper for Halloween; the reason I have a flapper dress is because I bought one at Goodwill last summer for a Gatsby-esque party for Midtown Cocktail Week. I’m looking forward to wearing the dress again and going full-on flapper this time by wearing more accessories. I already have the gloves, pearl necklace, and cigarette holder, so all I needed to buy was a boa, a headband, and fishnet tights to complete my costume. Luckily, I found all three for only $12. Another fun Halloween activity I did this week was bake pumpkin bread and cookies. Forget candy, I’ll be snacking on pumpkin baked goods tonight!
2) I’m starting to get back into the money-saving mentality again. I passed up buying a new Halloween costume this year which saved me about $50. My work pants were falling apart in a couple different areas so I hemmed them myself instead of buying a whole new pair ($25-$50 saved). I’m also in the process of getting rid of stuff in the apartment and selling it for some extra cash. I don’t have a lot planned for November, so I’m hoping I’ll be able to just focus on working, saving, and paying off my credit card debt again.
3) I love not having the Facebook app on my phone anymore. I feel like I’ve gotten so much on my to-do list done this week because I haven’t been wasting time on Facebook. I’ve also started carrying around my Kindle with me so I can read when I’m in a situation where I have to wait (e.g. in line, waiting room) instead of skimming through my FB feed on my phone. I’m really looking forward to more free time and positivity in my life thanks to way less Facebook.
4) Chris and I are ALMOST done redecorating and reorganzing our apartment. It has seriously been like a month-long process, but it’s been worth it. We’ve replaced some of our furniture and gotten rid of a lot of clutter. I think this was a good alternative instead of moving: we saved money and our apartment looks the best it’s ever looked since we moved in two years ago.
5) I have a semi-chill weekend ahead! Tonight, Chris and I are going to a Halloween Ball downtown with another married-with-no-kids couple. This will be the first time Chris and I do something fun for Halloween in the 3 1/2 years we’ve been together, so I’m sure I’ll be taking lots of pictures. On Saturday night, I plan to volunteer at a cancer walk, and on Sunday night, I’ll be working at my restaurant job. In my down time, I plan to exercise, read, and apply for jobs. I can already tell it’s going to be a good weekend.
How was your week? What are your plans for Halloween weekend?