Running is known as a cheap form of exercise, but if you want to start running seriously and even train for a half marathon, you’ll need to invest in the right gear. Over the summer, I acquired a lot of new running gear that I’ve been loving and thought I’d share here for anyone who is in the market for a new armbelt, workout tank, or all of the above!
1) Garmin Forerunner 10 GPS Watch – When I first started my half marathon training, I used the Nike Plus App as a cheap way to track my runs. Then right before Nike, I decided to buy a Garmin GPS watch to track my time, distance, and pace during the half marathon instead so I didn’t drain my phone battery by using the app. (I had to make sure my phone didn’t die before I got to the finish line so I could take post-race pictures!) I love the watch and the fact that it saves your run history, tracks your records, and has run options like interval training. Plus nothing says “I’m a real runner” better than wearing a Garmin watch around your wrist.
2) Apple iPod Nano (6th Generation) – This is the one item I didn’t have to buy when I started running. I bought my iPod nano in 2012 to use during my workouts and it’s the best. I love that it’s super small and I can just clip it to my shorts when I’m working out. And in addition to syncing your own music onto the iPod nano, you can sync podcasts, too. My particular iPod model has actually been discontinued, but you can click on the link to get a used one, or you can wait until Apple releases their 8th generation iPod Nano any day now.
3) Nathan Quickdraw Plus Handheld Bottle Carrier – This water bottle saved me during my runs. The water bottle I had before was super heavy and really annoying to carry with me during my runs. This Nathan water bottle is much lighter and easier to carry thanks to the hand strap. I also love that it has a little zipper pouch for me to carry little items in, like my Body Glide, shot bloks, and house key.
4) Tune Belt Armband for iPhone – This also saved me during my runs. Life before owning a Tune Belt: I carried my phone in my hand and it was annoying. Life after owning a Tune Belt: I didn’t have to carry my phone anymore and my runs got exponentially better because I had one less thing to carry. I should also mention that I was skeptical about buying an armband at first because I figured my phone would end up sliding down my arm all the time, but it doesn’t. It stays in one place the whole time I run, which is exactly what I want.
5) On Wednesdays We Wear Pink Workout Tank – In case you couldn’t tell by my graphic, my favorite color is pink. So of course I had to have this tank top to wear when I go running on Wednesdays.
6) Nike Zoom Pegasus 31 Running Shoes – If you’ve owned a pair of running shoes before, you probably already know that running shoes are not always the most fashionable shoes. What I love about the Nike Pegasus is that they are not only comfortable, but they look good, too. In fact, I love the style so much, I plan on getting the same pair again when it comes time to buy new running shoes, only in a different color just to switch things up a bit.
What are some of your workout faves?