I’m very excited to announce Chris and I found a house to rent and we’ll be moving in the weekend of October 9th – October 11th! No more apartment-living. Yay!
It’s a 2,200 sq. foot home with four bedrooms and 2 1/2 baths all for just $1,550 (utilities included)! It’s in a much nicer area of Sacramento than where we’re living now; the neighborhood seems very safe and family-friendly.
The downside to this particular house is it doesn’t have much of a backyard; the “backyard” is more like a big patio. The good thing about this “backyard” though is that we will have little-to-no yard maintenence to take care of. You might be thinking, “What about Otis having a yard to run around in?” Well, Otis is a small, indoor dog, so this yard is still big enough for him to roam and go to the bathroom in. Luckily, there’s a park only a couple blocks away if we really want to give him space to run around.
One other bummer about this house is that it doesn’t come with a fridge, washer, or dryer, so we will have to buy those things on our own which will be an added moving expense, and we all know moving ain’t cheap! However, Chris and I will need to buy those things when we buy a house someday anyway, so we might as well buy them now and take them with us when we leave the rental home.
In case you’re wondering why we don’t just buy a house instead of rent, it’s because we want to pay off more debt and save more money first. I hate the idea of adding over a hundred thousand dollars to my current debt with a mortgage. I at least want to get my student loans paid off first before even thinking about buying a house. Besides, buying a house isn’t that great of an investment anyway, so I’m really not in any hurry.
Now, let’s focus on all the positives. shall we? I’m super excited to live in a house because:
- we will have over twice as much space as we do now (800 sq feet). We will have more room than we know what to do with!
- I won’t have to do laundry in a community laundry room anymore. I will not miss having to wait in line to use the machines and worrying about people stealing our clothes.
- more bathrooms! Sharing a bathroom is not fun.
- I will have my own walk in closet.
- we will have room for a large dining table so when more than 2 people come over, we can all eat together at the table instead of having to eat on the couch.
- bigger kitchen plus a pantry!
- hosting parties and get-togethers will be so much easier with more space to put people.
- parking will be easier when our guests come over. Trying to find parking in an apartment complex is difficult.
- if we have a baby in the next year or so, we’ll have someplace to put it!
Living in a house is going to be awesome. Chris and I are just so done with apartment-living and ready for this next step. By renting this house, we will not only have way more space and live in a nicer neighborhood, but we’ll start to learn what we want and don’t want for when we’re picking out a house to buy someday.
Do you have any good moving advice? Do you want to buy a house someday?