I first heard about Ipsy while watching Ingrid Nilsen‘s YouTube channel last month. Ipsy is a monthly beauty product subscription service created by Michelle Phan, one of the biggest beauty vloggers out there. Ipsy is just like Stitchfix, but for beauty products. When you sign up, you take a quiz on your preferences as to what kind of beauty products you’re interested in, as well as your physical features, like skin tone, eye color, hair color, etc; based on your quiz answers, the gals at Ipsy will customize a little “glam” bag filled with five sample beauty products for you to try. The best part is the bag and the 5 products are only $10 a month. What a steal!
I thought the idea of this glam bag was awesome for someone like me who is just starting to get into makeup and is also a creature of habit. For the longest time, I was so guilty of always wearing my makeup the same way with the same color shades and always using the same skin/hair products. I am this way in all areas of my life from the food I eat to the clothes I wear! It’s not because I don’t like trying new things; I guess if something works well for me, I just stick with it, which is fine. But when it comes to makeup, hair, and skin products, the possibilities are endless, so why not venture out and try something new?
I signed up for Ipsy’s monthly subscription service with the expectation that by doing so, I will be introduced to new beauty products every month which will help get me out of the habit of using the same stuff over and over again. I got my first glam bag last night and am so excited to talk about the five goodies that were picked out for me!
First of all, the glam bag comes in super cute pink packaging. Pink is my favorite color and this packaging definitely brightens up a mailbox full of bills and other junk. The glam bag itself was even cuter and so perfect for February!
Here’s a breakdown of the five beauty products I got:
- theBalm Cosmetics Mr. Write (Now) Eyeliner Pencil – This eyeliner is a dark gold color which is totally out of the norm for me; I typically always wear black eyeliner (See? Creature of habit!), so I’m looking forward to try something out of my comfort zone.
- Dr. Brandt PoreDermabrasion – This product is basically a pore “perfecting” exfoliator which is perfect for me because I have big ol’ pores that could use some love.
- Luxie Beauty Flat Definer Brush 221 – Before I started getting into makeup a few months ago, I had ONE makeup brush. ONE. Can you believe that? Now I’m working on expanding my brush collection and this brush will be a great addition.
- Promise Organic Ultra Moisterizing Argan Creme Facial Lotion – This is the product I’m most excited about! I keep seeing argan oil products everywhere lately (i.e. Ulta and the Target beauty aisles). I’m still not sure what it is exactly or why it’s so popular, but I do know that it sounds fancy and I’m thrilled to now have my very first argan beauty product.
- Chella Lipstick Pencil – I had never even heard of a lip pencil until now. Apparently you can use it to line your lips before putting on lipstick, use it as a base, or just wear it alone. I also never wear bright lip colors, so again, something new for me to experiment with.
That completes my very first Ipsy Glam Bag review. I’m super stoked about all the new products I’ve been introduced to in this first glam bag and I’m already looking forward to next month’s glam bag. If you want to sign up for your own Ipsy Glam Bag subscription, feel free to use my referral link. It’s only $10/mo and shipping is free, but if you decide it’s not for you, you can cancel your subscription with no penalty.
How do you discover new beauty products? Do you use any argan oil products or lip pencils?